Monday, March 9, 2020

The Jimi Hendrix Masters Part One: Studio

This is a project that I'm really excited to create and happy to share - (nearly) all of Hendrix's officially released studio recordings presented in chronological order in such a way that the listener can go in as deep as they like. Special care has been taken to present these in the highest possible quality. Original singles are in mono as well as most of AYE. Axis uses the rare 1985 CD that Prof. Stoned loves, and it is really good. Electric LL is from a Blu-Spec disc and the rest have been carefully chosen. It's @320, each track is tagged with original release art.

So let me try to explain how this work - I'm posting eight parts that are as follows:
01 - Studio Masters Polydor-Reprise (1966-74)
02 - Studio Masters Alan Douglas (1975-95)
03 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 1 (Unique Songs) (1997-Now)
04 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 2 (Jams & Alternates)
05 - Studio Masters Dagger Records
06 - Radio and TV
07 - Session Man
08 - Produced By Jimi

I'm working on the live stuff now and it will mesh together with this set.

Check out how this works! Here's April 1969 as an example:
01 - Studio Masters Master Polydor-Reprise
19690401-01- Midnight (War Heroes LP)


Add 02 - Studio Masters Alan Douglas
19690401-01- Midnight (War Heroes LP)
19690414-05- Young-Hendrix Jam (Nine To The Universe LP)
19690422-01- Mannish Boy (Jimi Hendrix: Blues)
19690424-07- Drone Blues (Nine To The Universe LP)


and then 03 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 1 (Unique Songs)
19690401-01- Midnight (War Heroes LP)
19690407-03- Lullaby For The Summer (Valleys Of Neptune CD)
19690414-01- Stone Free (The Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set)
19690414-02- Ships Passing Through The Night (Valleys Of Neptune CD)
19690414-05- Young-Hendrix Jam (Nine To The Universe LP)
19690422-01- Mannish Boy (Jimi Hendrix: Blues)
19690424-06- Crash Landing (People, Hell And Angels CD)
19690424-07- Drone Blues (Nine To The Universe LP)


...04 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 2 (Jams & Alternates)
19690401-01- Midnight (War Heroes LP)
19690407-03- Lullaby For The Summer (Valleys Of Neptune CD)
19690414-01- Stone Free (The Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set)
19690414-02- Ships Passing Through The Night (Valleys Of Neptune CD)
19690414-05- Young-Hendrix Jam (Nine To The Universe LP)
19690422-01- Mannish Boy (Jimi Hendrix: Blues)
19690422-02- Mannish Boy (Both Sides of the Sky CD)
19690424-06- Crash Landing (People, Hell And Angels CD)
19690424-07- Drone Blues (Nine To The Universe LP)
(OK, not much changed here!)

the rest of official studio Part 05 - Studio Masters Dagger Records
19690401-01- Midnight (War Heroes LP)
19690403-01- Trash Man (Dagger - Hear My Music)
19690407-01- Hear My Train A-Comin' (Valleys Of Neptune CD)
19690407-03- Lullaby For The Summer (Valleys Of Neptune CD)
19690409-02- Hear My Train a Comin' (Both Sides of the Sky CD)
19690414-01- Stone Free (The Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set)
19690414-02- Ships Passing Through The Night (Valleys Of Neptune CD)
19690414-05- Young-Hendrix Jam (Nine To The Universe LP)
19690414-06- Young-Hendrix (West Coast Seattle Boy Box Set)
19690421-02- Room Full Of Mirrors (The Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set)
19690422-01- Mannish Boy (Jimi Hendrix: Blues)
19690422-02- Mannish Boy (Both Sides of the Sky CD)
19690424-01- Bleeding Heart (Valleys Of Neptune CD)
19690424-07- Drone Blues (Nine To The Universe LP)
19690424-08- Drone Blues, Driving South (Dagger - Hear My Music)

See how the different parts fit? Imagine what it's like when it's all finished! So what I have done so far is to put the different parts into my smartphone and added the folders I wanted into a playlist. For me, it's worked really well. If you're using a PC and something like Foobar2000, just add the folders you want and click on the Track Title Tab to reorder them all together correctly. I've tested different Apps/Programs and have been able to make it work without trouble. Personally, I'm diggin' parts 1-3 put together. I've reconfigured this in a few different ways.  It'll be even more interesting once the live part is completed.

Most importantly, all of Hendrix's are all put together in order, as it was created. a whole lot of clarity and new insights here. I don't know why no one ever tried it. An MSWord document is included in the first folder. Jimi often worked on a track over many studio sessions. The date selected is (I believe) when recording the track was completed.

I hope you like it, as you can probably tell, I'm pretty excited about it.
Yandex!
01 - Studio Masters Polydor-Reprise (1966-74) Part 1
 01 - Studio Masters Polydor-Reprise (1966-74) Part 2
02 - Studio Masters Alan Douglas (1975-95)
03 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 1 (Unique Songs) Part 1
03 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 1 (Unique Songs) Part 2
04 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 2 (Jams & Alternates)
05 - Studio Masters Dagger Records
06 - Radio and TV (Revised)
07 - Session Man
08 - Produced By Jimi Yandex

Zippy!
 01 - Studio Masters Polydor-Reprise (Part 1)
 01 - Studio Masters Polydor-Reprise (Part 2)
 02 - Studio Masters Alan Douglas
 03 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 1 (Part 1)
 03 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 1 (Part 2)
 04 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 2 (Part 1)
 04 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 2 (Part 2)
 05 - Studio Masters Dagger Records (Part 1)
 05 - Studio Masters Dagger Records (Part 2)
 06 - Radio and TV (Revised)
 07 - Session Man (Part 1)
 07 - Session Man (Part 2)
 08 - Produced By Jimi



54 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mere words do not begin to describe my joy. THANK YOU

Davetuba said...

Wowie Zowie. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow your projects are amazing Many Many Thanks

madhouse51 said...

Many many thanx to you!!

Aging Child said...

I totally agree with all the WOWs... and could you double-check your WeTransfer links? The 4/5 looks to be the same as the 6/7/8... thank you, BlankFrank!

FiveGunsWest said...

Astonishing

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fantastic set! Thanks for your great work and really looking forward to the live stuff!

Silvio said...

you always surprises me...thank you for this Jimi Hendrix...still waiting for a similar Beach Boys compilation...cheers

Timmy said...

We-Transfer files 6-7-8 are same as 4-5...

Timmy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Timmy said...

NOW, let me tell you that these are really COOL! THANX! (hope you can fix We-Transfer prob...)

Timmy said...

Yanex - 4 doesn't work.

YOSHIKI said...

File No.4, No.5 & No.8 are Dead

BlankFrank said...

Sorry about the duplicate link - I should know better than to stay up late posting. The right link WT is now in place! Zippy will be up after coffee.

Anonymous said...

Yet another great piece of work...just loving the hard work you put into these compilations..regards, Jay

Rob Kopp said...

Thanks a lot. You're absolutely making the best overviews and compilations.

Guitarradeplastico,scraping oddities said...

OLE,very great

iffypete said...

you are the best man....

polo said...

Something were waitng for a long long time . many many thanks from France

Zeko said...

thank you

BarrieB said...

I'm downloading session man first but you already know that I'm wierd.

lemonflag said...

BF
I went to see a show at the Royal Festival Hall. It was billed as a "Guitar-In". Paco Pena was the Spanish part there was a folk singer and top of the bill was Cream. At the start they said Eric was not well so they had a replacement. If you wanted a refund you must leave now. Many left and I walked down and sat in the sixth row. The replacement was Jimi. This was in 1967 I think because he sang Purple Haze and made the line "S'cuse me while I kiss this sky-guy" playing on the comments about that song. In your travels have you heard of this show?
By the way my ears were ringing for days. I was 16.

Joshua Mooney said...

BlankFrank, this is truly a gift. I'm digging what I've heard so far. Great work. Truly. But what's the deal with Alan Douglas, anyway? I never figured that out. I know Jimi's people didn't dig him. And I disliked Voodoo Soup, so i stopped paying attention after that. And Douglas died in 2014. But I guess he has his fans?

Anonymous said...

You read my mind, Joshua. For more on Alan Douglas, see the (next to last) link on the right side of Frank's page, Dead Hendrix, which takes you here: http://deadhendrix.blogspot.com. I happen to think that Alan Douglas did a good job. He got savaged by the Hendrix family so that they could "improve" everything re-issue it and.... guess what.... make $$$.

tsi&hrjs said...

This looks great. Finally a fully organized Hendrix discography. Thanx a ton!

tsi&hrjs

Joshua Mooney said...

You got me intrigued, Anon. I'll dig into this Douglas caper a bit more. Sounds like I should at least give a listen. And yeah, I'm not a big fan of how Jimi's people have handled the music over the years. But when you die at 27 and are already a legend, these things are bound to happen. Alas.

GW said...

Thanks!

Aging Child said...

Thanks again, BlankFrank - I'm downloading Parts 3/4/5 right now, and am eagerly awaiting Part 8... whee!

LonChes said...

Wow, thanks for this! This is a big undertaking and we all appreciate it.

HERE THERE AND EVERYWHERE said...

GREAT JOB THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Thankyou for the work you put into this. Treating Jimi's recorded legacy with the respect so often lacking from the official 'family' source. Cant wait to mesh the live stuff in and lock myself away for a week to listen! Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

"WeTransfer 4-5 (Until 16 March) **REPAIRED**" no longer available ? ://

Anonymous said...

Awesome, listening in this way will really highlight the growth of the man.

EasilyConfused said...

This is a great project - many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Amazing Work !!!!
Thank You So Much.

Anonymous said...

What a heroic feat: and a great, a truly intelligent concept! Thanks a million! The Chairman

351M10 said...

Thank you very much for your effort. Keep it up.

Earthbound said...

Thank you very much for your monumental and respectful effort to finally after all these years present to us Jimi's studio recordings in an orderly fashion.

I do have one small point to make though.

The version of Blue Suede Shoes found in Volume One is not the same version (or take) from Loose Ends (at least not from my copy of Loose Ends). I do think both versions are from the same session but sadly the alternate take also does not appear in Volume 4 (Jams & Alternates).

I only bring this up because Jimi's studio banter (i.e. "ear goggles", "Goddamn I'm so on the sail", "Cymbal and snare. Only cymbal and snare....etc.) is not to be missed and, personally, I think it is the superior take of the song.

Again. thank you for all you do. I look forward to your future projects.

Earthbound said...

Whoops. I take it back about both versions of Blue Suede Shoes being from the same session.

According to Wikipedia the version of Blue Suede Shoes found on Loose Ends is from January 23, 1970 whereas the version found in volume one of your Hendrix anthology was recorded on May 30, 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loose_Ends_(Jimi_Hendrix_album)

351M10 said...

Again, thank you very much for this Jimi Hendrix post. Jimi's music has been the soundtrack of my existence for many, many years. Let me tell, even if it may seem out of context, right now I am enjoying your KHJ-LA compilations. I have to stay home due to the restrictions placed by the italian government on social gathering and travel for the coronavirus. I play KHJ-LA to cheer me up. Thank you so much. Best regards.

BlankFrank said...

@ Earthbound. Thanks for pointing this out. I really appreciate your time and trouble I had found it myself shortly before reading your comment. The problem looks like a crediting error in The Jimi Hendrix Experience box set. The Loose Ends version is now updated. For ANYONE who has previously DLed this collection, please DL the Updates at the bottom of the post. If you are DL'ing now for the first time, there is no need, as all links have been updated to the latest.

BlankFrank said...

@ "0", your blog has been added and thanks. I look forward to checking it out after I finished my next post!

Earthbound said...

I just discovered I misspoke when I earlier wrote that the "ear goggles" take of Blue Suede Shoes did not appear in 04 - Studio Masters Experience Hendrix 2 (Jams & Alternates). It's in there but the recording date is incorrectly listed as 1970 05 30.

It seems that the intention was to offer the second or alternate take of Blue Suede Shoes recorded on 1970 05 30, but what we have instead is the one and only take of Blue Suede Shoes recorded on 1970 01 22.

Maybe this is the other take of Blue Suede Shoes recorded 1970 05 30?

https://youtu.be/vIOw5kUDlpg

0 said...

@BlankFrank
thanks, i've added yours also.

Olav Toobad said...

@BlankFrank
I love your blog and what you do! I hope you consider upgrade to FLAC.

However thank you!

Anonymous said...

A quick note to '0' (who posted earlier) to say how much I'm enjoying your blog (I can't find a way to leave a comment on the blog itself), some great stuff posted. A constructive comment would be that I really don't like that uploading provider that you use, lots of spam, and my antivirus really doesn't trust it. But that shouldn't take away from your well constructed blog.

BlankFrank - thanks for Hendrix, not an artist I've ever warmed to greatly, but will give the core studio stuff a listen.

jake said...

thanks. your work here is amazing.

BlankFrank said...

@Earthbound, as I understand it, there are two versions of Blue Suede Shoes - the one on 30 May which was incorrectly placed in the studio series is actually from Berkeley rehearsals and moved to the live set, part one. The other, from January '70 as heard on the Loose Ends LP has been added and updated to part one: studio. It's included on the update DL and the links have been updated to include all of my changes

0 said...

@Anonymous

thanks for saying that, i really appreciate it.

as for the filehost..i'm looking into alternatives and have been for a while. i'm using firefox with ublock and have no trouble with the host but i understand that everyones experience is different.

thanks again

zipper said...

Cheers BF...superb collection and much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for yor collection. An interview to be added to your BBC Sessions,
pre Burning Of .. 19671006-06- interview (BBC Sessions) here: https://www71.zippyshare.com/v/43CZzOah/file.html

Anonymous said...

Hi, how can you say this -

>Special care has been taken to present these in the highest possible quality.

and in the same paragraph, say this?

>It's @320

Cognitively I can't handle the dissonance. Might be Dada humor?

Unknown said...

Thank you, this is awesome!!

Paolo Meccano said...

Thanks for sharing.